Tuesday, April 6, 2010

How education ruined me….!

Long time ago people used to practice a barter system of trade. They used to exchange a commodity they possess with another one they don’t. Trade was pretty simple at that time as everybody knows the value of the thing they don’t have.
Flying forward to thousands of years where we stand right now, we have a judgment on which is valuable and which is not. We tend to quantify things based on the value. So we have a cost for things we see, feel and use. So a watch has a value and so do a diamond. Ironically a watch which had something cutting edge to make it precise, small and beautiful (SMART!!!!) has an abysmal value when compared with a DUMB diamond which in contrast has nothing except the fact it can look really beautiful. I have just one point to make ….. It doesn’t take how much of the knowledge or understanding you have; it depends on how much you show that you have some stuff.
Why am I talking all this crap is that, I wanted to make a wish! A wish for a world knowledge is respected as it is! Rather than counting on how much money it can earn. As a child I always wanted to become an astronaut (sounds familiar right!), just for some of my lovely personal reasons. I wanted to escape from the homework, tyranny of adults, clichéd world of chaos and also explore the dark(not having knowledge about the moon). I imagined on how long it would take to go there and how if I run out f the commodities during that time. Now when I have a recollection of such events I feel so funny and childish. Funny because there were logical explanations to all my difficult questions at that time and childish because I know it is not going to happen.
As a grown up I dreamt of becoming a doctor and I don’t feel funny or childish about that. So what does it take to be a doctor….I recalled
Why internal medicine???
Coz I am have an aptitude for it.
What aptitude
It’s kinda I think like a doctor and could act like a doctor…(Smart answer)
What is like to think like and act like a doctor???
I want day to day challenges, complicated cases, intellectually stimulating stuff and to daily updates.
But believe me if every day is going to be different and challenging then
One, you can never get a perfection
Two, you would pull your hair off due to the stress…
So, what being a doctor teaches you is not think and act like a doctor but rather to imitate and simulate other doctors and practices. Just copy them!!!!
So you are left with no other process of getting a stimulating thing..rather you get a simulating thing.
So my point is simple Education doesn’t teach you to go for crazy things. It lets you run with the rest of the world. The world would have been the same without crazy things.
Never are any great inventions done by people who wanted a place for their publication in a research journal or wanted to earn money for their luxuries.
It’s a passion and we ALL have it. What happens in the course of educations is that it gets dampened…
You would be exposed to the lure of the world and you want to have them. So the next way is earning money to get them. Finally you end up struggling to get the bucks you are worth as you invested most of your productive age in learning about what other people have invented….
You bartered yourself with what you think is the priority (money)!!!
“na choraharyaM na raajaharyaM na bhraatRubhaajyaM na cha bhaarakaarIvyaye kRute vardhate eva nityaM vidyaadhanaM sarvadhanapradhaanam”
Not stolen by thieves, not seized by kings, not divided amongst brothers, not heavy to carry. The more you spend, the more it flourishes always - The wealth of knowledge is the most important among all kinds of wealth.
So strive for knowledge and not education…….

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is Education? for me education is gradual process of acquiring knowledge...with the knowledge acquired 'know thyself' & pursue your passions with more vigor & vitality....but instead we are living in a programmed world where success & failure are quantified in absolute & relative values through other's eyes (read middleclass society) than our own eyes which is ultimately leading to "programmed fuckups" (term coined by RGV)

bhavam said...

I like the way you said it Bendi... You are right. Prorammed fuckups is the most apt and beautifully coined word.

"We dont need no education" was a famous song by Pink Floyd's album Anathor brick in the wall. It had a strong protest aginst the so called education.

wizardess said...

too many grammatic mistakes . somewhere along the line you lost the flow you started of with . lastly too lengthy (for me atleast !!).
but don't worry , practice chesthundu .....peddaye patiki alavatay poothundi :p

bhavam said...

It just not the question about grammar but I tried to be as informal as possible.. Infact I wanted it to sound do talk like..
but I would truly try to overlook that in future
Thank you

na.abhiprayam said...

you rock with thi post..keep going

na.abhiprayam said...

i want to add a point.
when you are small,you just speak from your hear,As you become more educated you always think about the consequences before speaking .you become more caluclative in maintaining relations

Ramblings said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ramblings said...

First off, makes me want to write again. I think some of us go through this "learning vs earning", "how much is it really worth?" frustration?/emotional turmoil?. Some how,this post reminds me of my friend, who I was mad at for getting a better grade cheating off of me said "You know only 20% of the people actually study to learn this crap, the rest of us just don't care as long as we get As by cheating or however". 2 years later, we were at the same firm and obviously he got fired after the first evaluation. He was a diamond when he was in school and I was the watch, but it felt going being a watch rather than a diamond. Knowledge comes hell of a long way. I get the same feeling when I actually teach what I learned; the feeling is priceless. To me,formal education is just a piece of fancy paper that gets your foot in. Knowledge is what you make out of those steps.

my two cents: I see a lot of views radiating off of this topic, you might want to break them down and organize your thoughts accordingly. I call this soul writing..keep them posts coming..."bhavam mukyam, baasha kaadhu".